STAYING HEALTHY TO DONATE
Evidence shows that some of the leading causes of death such as Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Cancer, Stroke, Some Kidney, Liver & Lung Diseases, Injuries, and HIV, often can be prevented by improving personal health habits, Eating right, staying physically active, and not smoking are a few examples of good habits that can help you stay healthy.
- Eating right
Try to balance the calories you get from food with the calories you use through physical activity It is never too late start. Here are some helpful tips for eating right & Physical activities Tips
- Have short and frequent meals throughout the day.
- Do not skip meals. Do not fast or feast.
- Have calcium rich diet ( low fat milk products ) to avoid osteoporosis.
- Avoid trans-fat food (Dalda) items in the form of Butter, Cakes, Pastries, etc.
- Have more of complex carbohydrates in the form of whole grains, pulses and legumes, whole fruits, oats, vegetables, etc.
- Avoid simple sugars in the form of sugar and jiggery.
- Avoid Maida products like breads, khari, toast, biscuits as they tend to increase blood sugars.
- If you are overweight aim to lose the excess weight slowly ( crash diet may increase uric acid levels ).
- Prefer low glycaemic fruits like Banana, Chiku, Custard Apple, Mango, Grapes etc.
- Avoid fruit juices as they lack in fibber.
- Restrict alcohol consumption.
- Use 3 tsp of Oil and Ghee / day.
- Drink at least 10 – 15 glasses of water / day.
- Staying physically active
Research shows that physical activity can help prevent many disease: heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity ( excess weight ), diabetes, osteoporosis, and mental disorders, such as depression. Physical activity helps feel better and stay at a healthy weight tips.
- Make time for physical activity, start slowly and increase gradually.
- Try to do at least 30 minutes of physical activity daily
- Choose something that fits into your daily life ( e.g. walking, dancing, swimming, biking etc. )
- Say No to Smoking
Research shows that smoking causes more major diseases than any other personal habit. Some examples are cancers of the lung, mouth, bladder, and throat; heart and lung disease; and strokes. If you stop smoking, not only you help yourself avoid these diseases but you help yourdear ones from passive smoke.
- Eating right
Tips to quit smoking
- Pick a date to quit.
- Once you have quit, don’t try even one puff, and try to keep yourself away from all cigarettes. If you fail the first time, don’t give up. Keep trying and learn from your experiences.
Maintaining healthy lifestyle not only helps you but it can help many. Healthy organs can be donated during life (to family members) as well as after death. Donating organs after death gives chance to LIVE TWICE.
Written By: Dr. Mita Shah Consultant Diabetologist, Global Hospitals, Mumbai Trustee, Narmada Kidney Foundation
Nice to know importance of well balanced diet, exercise,ample water intake. Best and easily available form of exercise is Walking which I am used for last 9 years.
Very useful and informative article for kidney patients and persons undergone Transplant.
Management Advisor and
National Institute of Personnel Management,Nashik Chapter.